Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Migraine my pain

It has been with me since primary school. Once I hit my threshold stress level, or ate food that trigger migraine off, I will plunge into the migraine cycle. It starts off with the spoilt television vision, ie. I gt blind spots in whatever I see. No pain yet, but I know it's time to get into bed. An hour later, the tight, throbbing pounding pain that throbs with your heartbeat comes along right behind one of your eyes. My right eye this time. So thud thud thud it went. There's no stopping it. While you're trying to ignore the thud thud thud behind the eye, your legs start feeling so weak and jellyish. (yeah, and you're still in bed). That's the signal that you've got to empty your stomach. So I'd push myself to the toilet and clean out all the sour stuff in my stomach.

There, all better now. After washing up a bit and drinking some warm glucose water to soothe things, I go back to bed and find relief for a split second.

Once things are all settled down, the thud thud thud comes back. Jelly legs hit my knees and feet. Time to visit the toilet. Glucose. Rest.

Once more... thud thud, jelly jelly, toilet, glucose, rest.

This goes on and on, through the day or night. And it's nothing new. Once, I counted a record of 12 cycles. haha.

This time, my blind spots struck at 1.30am and the thud thud came at 2.30, followed promptly by the rest of the cycle. Multiple cycles followed. And the all clear signal came at around 2pm. SLowly and slowly... things cleared. But I still have to walk around gingerly and tenderly. Any jerky moves will bring back thud thud thud. Aftermath.

But it's alright. I'm used to it. Pain, God's megaphone of telling us something's wrong. Can't wait for the day when all pain will be gone.

No comments: