Sunday, February 27, 2005

A hearty dinner

Domestic helper was on leave today... so it was one of those rare days when I actually appear in the kitchen to do helpful work. Mum was deep-frying chicken wings with some new Malay recipe... vinegar, garlic, chilli paste, salt, pepper marinate with rice flour... and it was yum yum!!

My part in the kitchen was simple... mash potatoes. What's so hard? Boil them and chop them into itsy-teeny bits and mash them up with a fork. I tell you, it's a job that calls for a sweat out. This brand of potato was super hard. Then dump in some salt and pepper dissolved in hot water... throw in some margarine and pour some milk... mash mash mash mash mash...

-oops- I forgot to remove the potato skin before all that. Whatever.

Mum noticed something not too right with my hard potatoes... so they went into the microwave. Right, my potatoes needed more cooking. :X

When it was finally served, Dad thought something was missing in my mashed potato... so in went a little slab of butter... BUTTER! I tell u, butter does wonders as compared to margarine. Then Dad, obviously fascinated with his pepper dispenser, (those used by ang moh chefs on TV... where you give the a dispenser a twist twist and fresh pepper gets grounded and sprinkled on your gourmet food), decided to add a pinch of pepper to my potatoes. He tasted them, looked puzzled... and sprinkled more. I thought he looked rather pleased with himself. Mum said he was just playing with food. Hahaha...

When everyone started eating... my sis said, "Hey, what's that crispy thing in the potato??? You added chestnut ah?"

Dad said, "Yah, what's that crispy thing? Biscuits?"

I nearly laughed my head off. Mum was attempting to suppress her laughter. I merely forgot to skin the potatoes before mashing them up...

Little asides:
My sister called mangoes lemons.
Dad bought a new diswashing gadget that allows soap to be refilled to the sponge (hard to describe lah. Show you if you come to my place.) and my sister wanted to play with it. haha I bet it was a new stunt by Dad to make my sis wash the dishes. So I get away scott-free to eat mango for dessert.

Hey, after all I made mash potatoes with biscuits and chestnuts for dinner you know :X

No comments: