Sunday, February 20, 2005

Teenage laments from a non-teenager

My friends sent me a number of pics from US and UK... with all beautiful pictures and beautiful scenary... with 4 seasons and interesting people. Which set me thinking about all the plans my friends made about going on some graduation celebration trip overseas...

I have never stepped out of Singapore without my parents before... well, except once when I was camping in the jungles of M'sia with school authorities. And basically, I haven't been anywhere in Malaysia except a small town called Mersing without much to see in a way... I went to Thailand once and being a rebellious secondary school kid, I didnt enjoy that 4-day trip a single bit. There's nothing exciting about visiting touristy places with renovation work half-going on... and shopping for things that only my parents were interested in. I was just tagging along. I only enjoyed staying in the hotels with those long falling glass windows... Waking up early and rushing about here and there with plenty of fusses aint fun at all. In fact, I had little memories of the trip except that I didnt find anything exciting or new. It could have been a nice and fun trip... but I didnt enjoy seriously. Too busy with teenage sulking.

Now there. My friends go on talking about backpacking trip and going overseas and blah blah blah. Of coz, I made plans along with them, which would't happen. I'm feeling all those teenage angst again... and here I go. Up to now, my parents refuse to let me go overseas coz they said they don't want to worry for me. Secondly of course, finances can be an issue. At the same time, they can't help voicing out how independent how other people's children are and why we can't be like those who can survive studying alone in foreign countries or how adventurous other people's children can be when they go backpacking on their own and plan their own itenary.

There we have it. Such an irony. I have been so well sheltered that I can't possibly learn to be independent in some ways.

Is that the same way I nip myself in the bud when I think about all the dreams and things I want to do and conclude in the end that it won't work or it's not me?

Oh such silly laments. I shouldn't push the blame for my ignorance on my lack of travelling experiences. I should just start reading more.

1 comment:

ic3snow said...

hey gal, its ok yeah? take it as a much postponed trip abroad when u hv the money!!!