Sunday, November 28, 2004

Emotion of the moment = :(

Mum bought me a new pair of earrings but I lost another pair down the washing machine into the pipes and away through the drain :(

Rainy days and umbrellas

I was walking home from the MRT station as usual and It was drizzling. So, I flicked my umbrella out and happily made my way home. While waiting for the green man to appear at the pedestrain crossing, I saw an umbrella-less lady walking towards me with her hands full of shopping bags. She stopped about one metre away from me. Raindrops falling falling falling... and I was thinking very very very hard if I should go over and give her some shelter. It was a struggle. It seemed weird to just walk over. I'd rather have her pop under my umbrella. I wouldn't mind at all. (Well, there's once when a girl just came over and asked me if she could share my umbrella. No prob! You're welcome to do that!)

As I stood there, I can't help but remember how other aunties and uncles have given me some space under their puny umbrellas in the midst of storms. In those sec sch and JC days, our huge bags and giant stacks of notes barely left any space for umbrellas. I don't know how I did it, but I didnt mind getting drenched to the skin during my sec sch and JC days (as long as my bag is waterproof and nothing inside gets wet). But, as I walked home from the same MRT station, some kind aunties would offer to shelter me home. That happened twice already.

On one of the occasions, it was only drizzling and I was just plain lazy to take my umbrella out. A motherly lady came over and decided to shelter me home. I felt so embarrassed that I didn't dare to say anything about that umbrella which was hidden away in my bag.

On another occassion, I was at the same pedestrain crossing... standing in the rain and waiting for the green man to appear. An uncle came along with only newspapers as he shelter. When he saw me, he gave me half his stack of newspapers and told me to cover my head so that I won't get sick.

Yet another occasion was when I was right here at the same spot feeling the pitter patter on my head when a Malay lady shared her umbrella with me. That's really nice of these people. And they are complete strangers you know...

As I stood there watching the lady stare impatiently at the traffic lights, I was really in a dilemma. I am not exactly the most gungho and courageous person when it comes to talking to strangers. So I just stood there... till the green man appeared. She hurried across the road and rushed ahead. As for me, I trailed behind till she disappeared behind some HDB blocks, lost in thoughts about the three rainy day kindred spirits and the lady in the rain.

No comments: