Friday, November 26, 2004

I like grass

I was feeling murderous to a certain type of flowers that's growing on the grass patches on my way home. They are such dainty and pretty little things that are good for plant presses and decorative materials for bookmark-making.

If you ever bother to look at grass patches (muderously or not), you'd find those small yellow flowers that looks like fluff encased by a little green cup (or carpels/sepals whatever). There're also the pink fluffy flowers that'd turn all white and fluffy in its full bloom. (Those flowers that turn bald when a breeze blows... yeah, that's the one...) Those are the common breeds. And there you have the more unique ones (much harder to find) like the ultra-mini white version of a sunflower. There's also the micro wild orchid look-alike dressed in white petals and pinkish-yellow frocks. It looked so pretty amongst the small dark green raindrop-like leaves.

The less novel greens include the ribbon grass (I don't know what it's called... but I've been calling it ribbon grass since young) that lookied like a slim 'Y' shape standing above the ground. There are also plenty of leafy grasses with pretty heart shaped leaves and intricate venation. I once drew a pic of the common everyday grass. But it's not that common when the crystal morning dew drops are shimmering at the tip of every grassy blade. So fresh and pretty.

I like the grass. It's everywhere, it's green, it's common but it's strong. They just grow. No grass patch is boring. With time you'll find new kinds of pretty plants and flowers growing with it. Indeed, God clothes the grass of the field!

As I was saying, I felt murderous towards those pretty little things coz they made good artsy handicraft material. But everytime I wanted to stretch my hand out to snap that thin stalk and eternalize that beauty in the form of a dehydrated plant press, I couldn't bear to do it. No dried flower is the same as that pretty vibrant little thing that clothes that unnoticeable grass patch. It's transcient beauty cannot be confined and fixed. And perhaps, the most beautiful thing is that this little flower in its full life cycles would soon bring a host of little angelic flowers the next season.

My dream job no.1 is still to be an inspiring nature book writer cum illustrator.

Verse of the day:
If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? (Matthew 6:30)

No comments: