Wednesday, June 30, 2004

BlackOut!

Anyone there?
Halfway through the phone conversation with my buddy, I was faced with a blank silence.
“Hello? Hello?” No reply. Strange. I turned my attention to my laptop which looked exceptionally clear and bright. Exceptionally clear and bright? With the phone set still in my hand, I turned my head from my laptop to the window. The outside world was pitch black. Nothing. Pitch black. It took me a few seconds to notice that my room was only illuminated by my laptop screen. I fumbled around and hung up the phone.

Inside
Some screaming and barking disturbed the still, humid air. The fan in my room was out. Some faint ringing noises started in the distance and it took me a while to figure that it was the lift alarm bell of some faraway block. Someone was trapped.

Moments later, a bright flashlight swept through my room and my dad came in to check if everything was ok. It was. My laptop saved me from being blinded by the dark. Actually, it’s kind of exciting. My buddy called me back to tell me about the black out in her area too. With the networking skills my family have, we realized that the blackout hit areas ranging from Jurong to Bedok.

Excitement of the day
Since my family wasn’t able to do anything in the dark, we spent time buzzing on the phone and getting excited about the major blackout. We took our unused candles and aromatherapy candles out and enjoyed the nice atmosphere in the flickering warm glow. We chatted and it felt good to have family time and family excitement like this once in a while. Well, my dog didn’t like it though. His ears were all down and he was pretty restless.

Outside
Outside, it was all dark and peaceful. The artificial day brought about by electricity was gone. Other then the occasional car zooming past, everything was but silhouettes in the night. It was serene and the silence was cozy and comfortable. The stars which were the only lights were soft and natural.

Dark bath
I didn’t know when the lights were coming back and I couldn’t stand the heat and the sweat. So, I armed myself with a candle and took my bath. It’s feels different to bathe in the dark with moving shadows dancing around. When I was nearly done, I heard shouts of “hooray” and “Goal”. Was there a soccer match going on? Anyway, the lights came back and everything was back to normal. Hai. Boring. The blackout should have lasted longer. We don’t get such excitement everyday you know.

Apologies
Ooops. I forgot about the poor person who was stuck in the lift. Sorry. It must be tough for you. I guess your finger must be quite tired after jamming it against the alarm bell button for one hour. We all heard the shrill cry of the bell and someone called the lift rescuers. Hope you are alright now…

No comments: