Thursday, July 01, 2004

Quote of the day:
Fellowship is not what we do or when we gather but it is what we share in common that makes what we do or when we gather significant.

The cockroach, The Kindred Spirit aboard MRT and me.
Big Cockroach, Small Cockroach, All Cockroaches = all the same to me = AhhhHHhHHHHH!!!
I was sitting quietly at the corner seat of the MRT when I saw the dreaded Roach! It was... small... but Big Cockroach, Small Cockroach, All Cockroaches = all the same to me = AhhhHHhHHHHH!!! Nevertheless, I kept my calm and moved to the edge of my seat. Well, I was also casting side glances to make sure that the Roach wasn't coming anywhere nearer. In fact, it should not be there.

Just then, a hand armed with a tissue paper stretched over and took a determined shot at the Roach. It missed. I turned to see a short-haired auntie clad in purple with a somewhat puzzled expression.

" Zua2 bu4 dao4 (Can't catch it)," she said apologetically.

Then, she took a second aim and with a forceful squash, the Roach disappeared under the tissue paper. GONE! I think. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a feeler-like thing disappearing into a gap near the top of the seat. Is it really gone? I started to itch. I think it's psychological. Imagine having the Roach creeping up on your back...

I hugged my bag and told myself that it's gone... and turned to give the auntie a weak, thankful smile.

Big Cockroach, Small Cockroach, All Cockroaches = all the same to me = AhhhHHhHHHHH!!! but I'm really thankful for all the aunties who are full of initiative and care.

Observation of the day(s)
The MRT courtesy campaign has encouraged some of the working professionals to give up their seats to the pregnant, the needy, the elderly and the young. But, the teenagers and the generally young people seem quite apathetic. Saw two girls who pretended not to see an old lady right in front of them by turning their heads at a synchronized wierd angle. How sad. But am I just apathetic as them? Hmm...

No comments: