Saturday, January 22, 2005

Yesterday

Attended my girl friend's 21st birthday party. Went to Clarke Quay into a pub and took my first puff of Sheesha, shisha (or by whichever middle eastern name you call it). Attempted to get into Attica (a new club with music loud enough to rattle the doors and windows. No kidding.) but changed our minds coz the bouncers didn't let our under-25 guy friends in. Took a cab to Chinatown and feasted on yummy porridge and chinese styled sashimi at 1am. Laughed at silly jokes and shared yummilicious gormet experiences till 3am. Went back to my friend's place and slept for 2 hours before it was time to head home.

Sheesha

Going clubbing/ pubbing is not my cup of tea. Can't stand the smoke. Nevertheless, my friend persuaded all of us to go. So we landed at clark quay into this little place with lights that casted intricate egyptian/ middle eastern/ turkish patterns on the ceiling. Saw that each table had a tall pipe like thingie wih a blue/ green coloured glass base, a long stem-like body with a single long tube attached to it. From the looks of it, the angmoh-dominated pub looked like an opium den. All the people were taking puffs from the tube and blowing out clouds of smoke. Very much like smoking. And that funny pipe thingie makes it look all look so queer and out of this world.

That whole thingie is known as Sheesha. And the pipe apparatus thingie is called Hookah. Google sheesha or shisha and you can read up all about it. So, my friends and I took turns at the pipe/ tubing. How do you smoke sheesha? Suck in the smoke from the pipe and blow it out. Something like smoking I guess. In fact, it was very much like smoking. The only diff, according to my friend, was that sheesha doesn't irritate your lungs. We had a strawberry sheesha plus a mint sheesha. Don't like sheesha much. It's like sucking in cool vapour with strawberry and mint smells/ flavours. Ended up swallowing plenty of air and had a bloated uncomfy stomach. Took a couple of photos with me puffing out. Look very much like nerd trying to act cool. Novel indeed. No smelly cigarette smell from sheesha.

But no more sheesha for me.

All the time I thought I was puffing flavoured water vapour. But in actual fact, I was smoking sheesha, which is tobacco flavoured with fruit molasses and honey. OH NO. I'm smoking *Gasp*

Am I turning into a pai kia? O_o Or am I actually an underground pai kia? =X o_O

Today

Came home at 9am. Flopped into bed. Woke up in time for lunch and for an appointment. Came home afterwards feeling that being with people is a tough thing. Feasted on 2 soft maple nougats, 2 dark hershey kisses, half a bar of Lotte crunky crunch dark choc from Japan, stopped myself before I have choco overdose. Watched The Terminal on my lappy and cried. ( I like shows that make me cry/ think)

Nagging underlying voices telling me about my undone lab report and the much needed discussion with my lab partner. More voices telling me about the people I have to call and meet and keep up with. More voices struggling to push these stresses aside and indulge in chocolate.

Too many voices in my head. Party and holiday withdrawal symptoms. Partying was fun in a way. But it was so unlike me in so many ways that I surprise myself. My inconsistency is getting to me.

1 comment:

Me JT said...

oops. found a lot of spelling errors. pardon them. No more sheesha for me. NO no.