Sunday, January 30, 2005

Flashback I

When I was in primary school, i can't even finish a single serving of lor mai gai (nuo mi ji aka glutinous chicken rice). I remember how I struggled with finishing the 90cents worth of food and what bloatedness it gave me when I pushed every single bit into my stomach. Once, there was about half of my lor mai gai left and I surrendered. Cannot finish. No no. My primary school teacher saw it and remarked that I ate very little. "Very little?" I thought, "Cannot already. My stomach is starting to hurt. Indigestion."

On hindsight, I was a totally small eater. How can one lor mai gai be too much? I used to be unable to one serving of char siew rice and fifty cents worth of wanton mee can satisfy my stomach. Thirty cents worth of porridge or forty cents worth of hor fun is good for lunch. Fifty cents of nasi lemak or eighty cents worth of mixed dishes from the Chinese rice stall is more than enought to fill my stomach. And 90cents was a big deal. Ninety cents!

I bought a mechanical pencil that cost 80cents once and that was my most valuable asset in my pencil case. Well, next to my liquid paper that is. When I invested in a pilot-G1 which cost $1.20 then, it was my most precious pen. My first ink pen purchased with my pocket money!

Of course, if you read about my pencil case in the blog sometime ago, you'd know I have a soft spot when it comes to spending on stationery. I'm learning to hold back though. Next to my liquid paper, my most expensive pen costs $2.80.

My spending habits just grew and grew and grew. This is bad. Once, I found $6 for a pair of earrings too expensive. But now, I'm thinking twice about getting earrings that costs below $10. Another soft spot for earrings. As yet, I havent invested much in earrings. They're given to me most of the time haha.

As for clothes and shoes... I think I'm placing my cap at about twenty. I'm starting to let my wallet go on diet. This is bad. I need self-control. (But then again, I don't usually find things/clothes/ shoes that I really like.. Hmmm... :p)

No comments: