Thursday, September 02, 2004

All by myself

And I actually enjoyed it. I think I've forgotten to enjoy a lot of things. I thought everything was grey. Grey. Dull. Bleak. Gloomy. But I guess it wasn't so bad... up the straight road, past the bend and right into the botanic garden. Cool luscious green leaves, sweet-smelling grasses plus the rush-gush-rush of mini rapids were pleasing for the senses, and the soul perhaps. The groups of joggers and morning-walkers weren't exactly part of the solitude package that I was looking for... but they were ok. They weren't bothered by me, and I wasn't very much bothered by them.

I picked a good, old wooden bench in front the trees (and a half under renovation pond) and did nothing. Well, for a while...till my phone vibrated. Such technology felt strangely out of place here. I chucked it aside and just sat there. Alone, and feeling very comfortable. There's no one to distract me, nothing to disturb me and it felt good to be quiet and just sitting there, enjoying everything.

The clouds were moving pretty fast up there and occasional blue patches of sky peeped at me... The palm trees stood out prettily against the sky and there were interesting vines that entangled strong and steady old trees. The little black birds spread their tail feathers out and did a little dance on the green patches. A yellow hummingbird flitted between the flaming yellow and red flowers... small black ants were creeping up and down my bench. I just sat there, tracing the curves of the hills and noticing how the landscape blended into each other.

I was reminded of Psalm 19

The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies prolcaim the work of His hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they display knowledge.
There is no speech or language
where their voice is not heard.
Their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.

-- Psalm 19:1-4


My Dream Job

No.1
On my way out of Botanic Garden, I thought, my ideal job would be one where I can just stand in awe of nature and write about the enjoyment I find in them. Then I'd publish my book together with illustrations of inspiring scenes and live on the royalty fees before I come up with my next book. No deadlines, No push, No pull. And I'd get to travel and see the beauty that has been set on earth. What I write comes from the enjoyment and meaning that flows out from the within.

No.2
Dream job no.2? To open an art shop like Prints at Citylink. I love that shop and all the papers and books and cards. And I'd be happy coming up with more paper products. Not for money's sake, but for art's sake. But no. 1 dream job would still be the inspiring Nature book writer.

No comments: