Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Three-in-One

Stars

Velvet black sky studded with glittering diamonds. Beautiful. I seldom noticed the sky in Singapore. But it is really pretty. Those stars are gaspingly beautiful and grand. They hang in space and decorate the sky in scatters and sprays. Big ones and small ones, bright ones and red ones. Of coz, there're the shooting ones. I was star gazing with my sisters till my neck ached. No shooting stars appeared leh. But, the moment I turned my head (yeah, I'm a little impatient) exclamations from my 2 sisters immediately revealed that Murphy's law was at work. The shooting stars had to appear when I turn my head away. Ah well, I'll see them some day. But the stars are simply beautiful, if you will only take time to appreciate the handiwork of God.

Apple Sensation Gelato (from Genki sushi)

Supposedly a French dessert with a milk (white) chocolate covering encasing real apple gelato with a chocolate core soaked in non alcoholic liquer, this expensive ($5.90) apple tastes a little queer at first. I first saw it in the dessert fridge at Genki and it's really pretty. Complete with handpainted shades of apple-red and a fake apple leaf and leaf stalk, the milk choco outer covering really looked like a real fuji apple. With a hard jab, the milk choco 'apple' skin cracked to show its pastel green gelato within. I really have no idea what gelato is, but the pastel green stuff was really just ice-cream. And I mean ice-cream made from real apple pulp with a uniquely queer taste. My friend thought the ice-cream smelt like... toilet air freshener.

I guess fine french desserts like this have to be enjoyed slowly and mulled over. So, we decided to try and get our $5.90 worth of satisfaction from this dessert. First, we tried the milk choco skin. Not too bad. Normal milk chocolate but beatifully handpainted. The gelato started tasting more like apple when we savoured dainty spoonfuls of ice-cream... in face, it's quite light and it's not too sweet. It's just right and I think it's really made from real apple pulp. The apple core tasted bitter at first, but if you take time to taste and enjoy it, you will find that hint of alcohol in the chocolate. What a fine dessert indeed!

It's worth the money I guess. All the effort the chef/ dessert maker has put in is definitely admirable. However, I think... I'd rather stick to safer choices like brownies and mud pies :)

Friends

For a moment, I was thinking about how busy we all get as we grow older, and how little time we have for our friends. For one, I don't think I have made time for my friends and I wasn't there for them. That's very sad eh? And I think it's so much harder to make closer new friends as we grow older coz we tend to close up a little and get jaded more more...

In primary school, we sing: "Make new friends and keep the old, One is silver and the other is gold." It's not as easy as I used to thin it is. Friends are precious and I wish I could spend more time with them...


No comments: