Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Killer Tsunami

Man, small and vulnerable indeed. We are at the mercy of the forces of nature.

I was in Malaysia when the Tsunami occured. In fact, in the morning at about 10am, I was at the beach in a small town called Mersing. Desaru beach to be exact. Just the night before, I was watching the movie "Blue Crush" and was probably half-dreaming about surfing on blue glassy waves. That morning, I was staring at shallow choppy waves washing up the vast bay at great speed. Salty, humid air was blowing strongly.

At that moment, I recalled the time when I was at East Coast Park. The moon was at its nearest to the earth. It looked way bigger than its normal size of a fifty-cent coin. It was more like a hoola hoop. That day, the waves were huge. The waves crashed on the shore and washed right up to the bicycle path. All the bbq pits and benches were drenched and washed and swept. My friends and I were so excited about this that we started to play around in the waters. We were all laughing and playing when we saw our slippers floating away with the waves.

Ironically, the same morning brought the awakening of the horrors of horrors. Yesterday, the death toll reported on the news was 22,000. Today, numbers more than doubled to 55,000. It's climbing fast fast fast. Who would expect oneself who's healthy and wealthy enough to enjoy a holiday by the beach to meet the end of their journey in life there and then?

None.

None of them.

Life is unpredictable. Somehow, man never remembers that. We plan so hard to have a good life, graduate with a good degree, find a good job, build a warm family, eat a good healthy diet, make our retirement plans... and we forget that we are not in control of everything. Who controls the forces of nature? Who determines the end of your life? Do you control your own with a good diet, a healthy lifestyle, doing your best and by living in a natural-disaster-safe place? NO.

We are at the forces of nature. Killer Tsunami tells you.

But, we know who is in charge of the killer Tsunami. God.

God is the very One who is in charge of everything. Every time. Every place.

And I thank God that I know God. I'd tell my parents that if I'd found the courage to be less squirmish about my conviction in God and in Christ at home. Sometimes, I really cannot stand my lack of courage and my passiveness when I've had a chance to confront misaligned and misconceptions about God at home. If I had dared, I would have told them that God is the One who determines the time and place of our birth and what we would do and our whole lives. I would have told them if my time is up, I'd thank God coz I know that I have finished what He has set out for me to do. I know I can leave everything behind because I have finished my work. My responsiblities are done. There's nothing to fear and no undone businesses to leave behind.

Man refuse to have his life end because he may think that this life is all there is. Many, though they don't admit it, fear death or refuse to have it come because there are many things in life which they haven't fulfilled or haven't completed. There are so many things to be done. When will it ever be finished? But if you know that the eternal God holds all these in His hands, you know that when He calls you home, He has all the rest in His Mighty, Loving hand too.

I antagonize what many would think. But it is true. God is real.

I pray that my courage to tell the world that God is real doesn't stop at blogging. May it be an outflow of my conviction.

I would have written way more because I know some of you may ask why God is so cruel as to send the Tsunami and 911 and all the disasters in life. But I shall stop here for now.

This is a long read and what I previously wanted to blog about seemed so trivial compared to the wake-up call to the truth that God is the One who rules over all.

No comments: