Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Upset: I WANT MY DOG

Sometimes, what they say seems to be true. Unpleasant things come in packages. The atrocious weather has already been fueling some sort of unfounded irritation in me. Other stress factors are also eating me up. Something's brewing. If that's not enough, I've just realised that my darling doggie, who's been with me since he was a two-month old puppy, will be given away in three days time. He's MY PUPPY!

I saw how he grew from a little flat-faced pup with a skunk-like black stripe running down his back to the big golden-brown fluff ball that he is. He still has that hint of skunk-like black stripe in his hair. I like his cotton ball tail that curls and wags in excitement every time someone comes home. I like the way his ears flatten when he greets us the moment we step through the door. I like the way he wipes his feet on the floor mat after he's done with his bowel movements. I like the way he playfully bites my ankles just to get my attention. I enjoy the round-round tug of war that we play with is favourite yellow towel. It always amuses me to see him search the whole house for his smelly towel. When he was a pup, I used to dangle his towel in front of him and he'd charge towards it like a bull. He always ends up struggling to get out of the towel mess. He likes to play fetch and slime up those green tennis balls. But he doesn't exactly fetch the ball back to you. He makes you run after him for it. When he's nothing better to do, he bites on his toy shoe. He loves to lie at the stairs so that he is tall enough to stare out of the window and await our return. He loves to be scratched behind the ears and patted on his belly. He sneezes and coughs sometimes. He likes to stretch the left hind leg when we stretch at home. He yawns. He's scared of heights. His tail droops when he's scared. He hates it when we comb the hair near his butt. He hates cutting his nails coz we had nipped his nail too deep before and it bled. He uses dog cologne. He likes to lick our faces. He loves all kinds of food and fruits except chilli and starfruit and cucumber. He loves durian and ice-cream. He loves the outdoors. He's anti-social and doesn't like other dogs to sniff about him. He's a loyal darling.

Well, he's michievous nevertheless. Always scratching up newspapers and barking at our neighbour's kids. He scares them. He hates that uncle who poked his umbrella at him. He likes to hang around the corridor when we water the plants and scout for leaves to toy with or neighbours to intimidate. He knows the garang-guni man. He scares off door-to-door salesman whom we don't want to talk to. When we leave him home alone for too long, he'd pee in the house in rebellion. And everytime he's guilty,he'd go out to his punishment area at the balcony and sit there, ears flattened, tail down, face guilty.

I've lotsa memories with my darling dog. He gave our family something common to fuss about and to laugh about. When I bathe him, it'll be my turn for a bath next coz I'll be all wet.

I admit that I dont take enough responsibility in cleaning up his poo and bathing him and walking him. But it doesnt mean he has to go right? Now that times has changed and we've to tighten our belts a little, there's still some leaway to keep him right? I'll play my part in taking care of him more...

But it's too late. He'll be gone. It's been arranged for him to leave this Sat to a stranger's home. I can't even visit him again. No one to welcome me home with a cheerful bounce. Things will be very different somehow. I'm so going to miss him.

Do you all know what I mean...

I pray that the family who's going to look after him will be nice and I pray that God will direct my thoughts and emotions in a way that's pleasing to Him. May the 'down' experiences in my life 'up' my spiritual walk with God.

No comments: