Saturday, July 02, 2011

Weekends

It feels like a long time since I last enjoyed a work-free weekend.
I cannot begin to describe how light-hearted, how enjoyable, how delectable and how delicious the sweet weekend is when there's no burden and no shadow of work lurking around any corner.


The weekend is mine!


Time always seem to be be running short, running out and running out of hand. And the mind tries to work ahead of time, to beat it, but the body hasn't followed.


Then, this sweet weekend came. I can't believe how time slows, and how every minute is so pleasurable.


I read the book I've displayed on my shelf for 6 months.


I attended a talk and met my old old friends there.


I had a leisurely Starbucks with my good old friend as time, surprisingly, crawled by. I thought time usually flies when you are enjoying yourself.


I bought the white skirt I was looking for.


I had dinner at my old primary school, which is now a youth hostel.


I reminisced. And many many thoughts, reflective ones, that never had time to surface ahead of work, all came to me one after another.


If I tweeted, I would have at least 20 tweets per hour.


I thought, "I miss my ex-colleagues. My old workplace, it feels the same, yet different. Yes, same same, but different."


I looked at my old primary school and thought, "The first time I was here, it was TWENTY years ago!!!"


I looked at the kids learning Wushu at the new Wushu school in my ex-primary school (which is now a youth hostel) and I thought, "That is so cool! I want to go back for classes! Baking class, kickboxing class, language class.... and I want to do that before I age anymore and I become slow to learn!"


I looked at my school canteen and thought, "The canteen looks so small now! Have I grown that big? Or was I that tiny?"


I looked at where the old eco-garden was and thought, "I used to catch tadpoles in that pond. And one day, during science outdoor class, spiders fell from the trees and brought about a spate of screaming."


I thought about the then and now.


I never really dreamd that I would be where I am today. Tomorrow is always a surprise.


The world tells me to worry.


Worry about cash and retirement. Worry about being alone for the rest of my life. If I'm not planning, striving and acting on fixing that, I haven't grown up.


Really? Is that why grown-ups wear an aged, weathered expression, with much weight on their shoulders?


Maybe, I'll look just like that very soon. Maybe, that's why we all look back so fondly at the carefree past.


So then, I am actually younger and more carefree today than tomorrow.


So, why worry about tomorrow? Tomorrow will worry for itself.


Look yourself in the mirror and smile, because today, you look good! No lines, no wrinkles... you look better than you will be 20 years later.


Cheers, wonderful weekend!

No comments: